Tuesday, September 25, 2012

How time flies when you are having fun!!

Wow, its September 24th already. I cannot believe that I have not had time to do a post since the last one. Have been working and then off to Melbourne to the Victorian Archive Centre to search for Wills in the Public Record Office. I found the most wonderful letter from my great great great grandmother Martha Buck, written shortly after her husband Adam died in 1895. It seems that they had a family meeting to see what should be done. It was agreed by all that she remain in the house and that her sons would work the land. How odd to think of them discussing things such as these back then but really they were no different to what we are now. They valued their possessions however little they were, be it a piece of clothing or a pocketwatch. These things seem so trivial to us but they meant the world to them. We live in a time where money and how much of it you have, seems to rule our lives, yet our ancestors led a much harder lifestyle but on the whole were far more contented than we are today.

Following that I headed to the State Library where I was looking at newspaper articles. Once again I found something special, an obituary from a great great great uncle which described how the family moved to Laang and cleared the land so that they could make a living for themselves.

Just for one day I wish I could travel back in time and ask all those pesky questions of my ancestors that I cannot find answers to, I wish.......

No comments:

Post a Comment