Saturday, September 1, 2012

Happy Fathers Day

First let me begin by saying Happy Fathers Day to everyone out there celebrating this important day.....Been busy once again working out family connections in Ireland. The 1901 and 1911 Irish census are available online for free (yipee!). Whilst they are truly wonderful as they record each families details, one per page so you cannot mix them up, it is a truly sad thing that the census' prior to 1901 mostly have been destroyed. If only I could have had the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census when my great great great great great grandparents were alive and living in Cargans, Tandragee, Armagh then we could have sorted out who belonged with whom a lot earlier. As it is some of my Redpath relations were still alive in 1901 and this has helped to sort out a few families. But the elusive Bennett relations of that time and place continue to elude me. The earlier census' were destroyed, some due to fire, others due to pulping during war time. Small fragments of the 1841 and 1851 census do survive as when applying for the pension these census' were used to verify details. Unfortunately none of my lot took this course and thus their details are lost. Hopefully I will find somewhere in the near future a source that will give me the answers that I seek.....

No comments:

Post a Comment