Sunday, August 19, 2012

Old times in the papers

Have been rereading some of the notes that I made whilst researching my Bennett family links. The newspaper reports make such great reading. The little things that newspapers used to report on made everyone seem connected, pretty much like Facebook and Twitter do now. Funny thing is will we be reading our families' history from Facebook in 100 years time? I rather think not. Rarely do you see an obituary in a newspaper these days unless the deceased was a prominent figure in the community. So many of my great great great uncles, aunts etc lived very interesting lives but by todays standards their lives were ordinary. To me there is no such thing as an ordinary life and rereading my families obits and news cuttings for the book we are researching gives me a window into the lives of the past generations. To have a newspaper report that says ones relative supported the church or played cards or worked for the Blind is a treasure. To have a newspaper report about every single wedding present a bride and groom received with details down even to who made the wedding cake is extraordinary. And yet the newspaper constantly reported such facts and events.

No comments:

Post a Comment